The Best Exercises To Do While Pregnant
- Exercising during pregnancy is perfectly safe and even extremely beneficial for both you and your little one. You’ll get a mood boost, those nasty pregnancy symptoms may be better kept at bay, and your postpartum recovery will be that much quicker and easier. Here are some of the best exercises to do while pregnant.
In every trimester, you’ll want to make sure that you warm up, stretch, cool down, drink plenty of water, and pay close attention to your body in general.
One exercise you can do in the first trimester is the squat and press.
According to fitness expert Katrina Scott, “Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height. Keeping your chest up and core engaged, lower into a squat position, keeping your booty back and thighs as close to parallel to the ground as possible. Driving though your heels, come back up to standing as you press the dumbbells overhead. Do 15 reps."
A few others you can try are:
- Single Arm Row and Tricep Kickback
- Side Plank Crunch
- Reverse Lunge and Curl
In the second trimester you can focus more on your upper body. Exercises that tone your back, arms, and chest are perfect for this.
Some examples are:
- - Curl and Press
- - Bent Over Fly
- - Single Arm Row
- - Alternating Forward Arm Raise
- - Tricep Push-up (Keep your knees touching the ground)
The third trimester is the time to tone those legs and booty. One great exercise to try is the table-top booty lift.
According to pregnancy experts, The Bump, “Start on your hands and knees and extend your right leg straight behind you, toe resting lightly on the ground. With your back flat and core engaged, lift your right leg up to hip height, then lower. Do 15 reps on each side.”
Other exercises you can do are:
- - Side Lunge
- - Side Plank and Leg Lift
- - Single-Leg Deadlift
All of these exercises can be used throughout your pregnancy, too! Feel free to mix them up, do 2 or 3 circuits, and remember to modify any exercise necessary. Take your time, don’t push yourself too hard, and be proud of yourself for making your health a priority during this exciting time! Don’t forget to let us know which ones worked for you!